Wound Care Cream
Wound care applications can be critical to the quality of life for a patient. In many instances, the ability to cure a wound prevents the unnecessary amputation of a limb or part of a limb.
“A wound is a disruption of a normal anatomic structure and function resulting from pathologic processes beginning internally or externally to the involved organs(s).”
There are Two Types of Wounds:
- Only last for 21 days or less
- Trauma or Surgical
- Typically heal rapidly or with limited local care
- Exists for 2 weeks or longer
- Does not proceed through normal healing process
- Takes longer to heal due to underlying conditions such as:
- Poor nutrition
- Nerve damage
- Poor circulation
- Duration greater than 21 days
Wound Type Categories:
- Venous Stasis
- Pressure (Bedsores)
- Surgical Wounds
SandsRx Pharmacy works to assist physicians and patients in healing difficult wounds. We can prepare a variety of medications in different combinations and different dosage forms to best fit the patient’s condition. Additionally, prescription antiseptic medications are available for use in the management of septic wounds.
There are numerous types of compounded medications that can be used to aid in the treatment of many types of wounds. Some of these compounds and treatments include:
- Wound Care Cream: Custom compounded and specially designed to protect wounds and aid the body’s healing process for quicker recovery and reduced risk of infections and other complications.
- Topical antibiotic solutions: To Aid in maintaining an infection-free, moist wound bed as the healing process is underway.
- Tissue growth stimulating gels or solutions: Help encourage the growth of healthy tissue.
- Topical bandages: For hard to heal areas such as the oral cavity.
One of the secrets behind the effectiveness of our compounded wound care cream is Spira-Wash Gel. Spira-Wash Gel is the base developed by PCCA that is used in most of our compounded wound care creams. It is a remarkably adherent base designed for a variety of different applications, including anti-infection treatments of the skin, dermatology, occlusive needs, wound care, and topical humectants. Spira-Wash is specifically designed to aid the body’s healing process by acting as a protective barrier against the air, blocking out potentially harmful microorganisms and environment toxins.
Along with guarding against contaminants, Spira-Wash also creates a moist environment for the wound to heal in, which has been proven to speed healing by up to 50%. Spira-Wash is different than comparable products because it protects the wound, but does not prevent proper washing. Spira-Wash is water washable, making cleaning and debridement of the wound as easy as possible.
Spira-Wash Gel contains organic Meadowsweet Extract that can potentially provide antioxidant and additional healing properties. Meadowsweet Extract may also act as an anti-inflammatory and antiseptic. Research also suggests that Meadowsweet Extract possesses antimicrobial properties.
Along with the numerous healing qualities found in every wound care formulation we create, our compounded wound care creams can be customized at the request of your physician. Our pharmacists will work with you and your doctor to create a formulation that best suits your needs. Customized formulations can include antifungal protection, pain reductions, antimicrobial coverage (for gram-positive and gram-negative), and increased healing properties.
Contact our Compounding Specialists for more information on how we can help you!