An estimated 50 million Americans are partially or totally disabled due to chronic pain. This makes pain the single most common symptom for which individuals seek medical help. Acute pain can easily evolve into chronic pain. Chronic neuropathic pain is often the result of multiple unknown sources, which share a common pathway of how pain is perceived and registered.
There are many mass-produced oral pain relief medications on the market. Opioids, also known as narcotics, are a common treatment option for chronic pain. However, due to their dosage strength, dosage format or other factors, they can lead to unwanted side effects such as drowsiness, dizziness, stomach irritation, gastritis, ulcers, and addiction. Additionally, many people have difficulty swallowing pills or tablets, presenting further obstacles to pain treatment.
SandsRx Pharmacy specializes in offering custom compounded transdermal pain creams. Transdermal Therapy is the absorption of medication through the skin and provides a unique alternative to traditional methods of drug delivery and pain management. We can compound pain cream medications for patients with both acute and chronic pain including:
- Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy
- Neuroma Pain
- Post-herpetic Neuralgia
- Chemotherapy induced Neuropathy
- Phantom Limb Pain
- Trigeminal Neuropathy
- Post-surgical neuropathy
- Thoracic outlet syndrome, etc.
- TMJ Syndrome
- Degenerative Joint Disease
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Chronic Post Operative Pain
- Plantar Fasciitis
- Acute & Chronic Tendon/Ligament Injuries
- Myofascial Pain Syndrome
- Lateral & Medial Epicondylitis
- Tension & Occipital Neuralgia Headache
- Failed Back Syndrome/Neck Surgery Syndrome
- Spinal Stenosis
- Degenerative Disc Disease
- Herniated/Bulging Discs
The most common varieties of Transdermal Therapy are creams or gels that you rub onto the skin over your painful joints. Some types come in the form of a spray or a patch that sticks to the skin. Since the ingredients are absorbed through the skin, most topical medications are best used on joints that are close to the skin’s surface, such as joints in your hands or knees. Our innovative transdermal topical pain management formulations offer many advantages:
- Rapid onset of relief
- Targeted to the site of pain
- High local concentrations
- Minimal Systemic Absorption
- Minimal Drug Interaction Risk
- Precise, customized formulations & dosages
- Most Insurance Accepted
Most of the mass-produced topical treatments on the market are utilizing a single ingredient approach, typically an anti-inflammatory, in hopes that decreasing inflammation will decrease pain. Compounded pain creams use a multi-ingredient approach, incorporating four to six different ingredients. Each of these ingredients has a different mechanism of action, all working together synergistically to offer the possibility of a stronger therapeutic outcome for our patients.
At SandsRx Pharmacy, we use Lipoderm ActiveMax for the base in our pain cream formulations. This gluten-free base from PCCA has been clinically proven to effectively deliver drugs through a patient’s skin. The molecular structure of Lipoderm ActiveMax allows it to penetrate through multiple layers of skin, soft tissue, fascia, tendons and muscle. Lipoderm ActiveMax’s unique composition also enables it to successfully carry multiple ingredients at once and deliver those medications deep down to the origin site of the pain.
Here are the common ingredients we use in our compounded pain cream medications:
- NSAIDS (Non-steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs): Ketoprofen, Diclofenac, Ibuprofen, Piroxicam, Mefenamic Acid
- Muscle Relaxants: Cyclobenzaprine, Baclofen, Guaifenasin
- Anesthetics: Lidocaine, Tetracaine, Prilocaine
- Pain & Nerve Channel Blockers: Ketamine, Amantadine
- Nerve Agents: Amitriptyline, Gabapentin
- Calcium Channel Blocker: Verapamil, Nifedipine
- Other Pain Medications: Menthol, Capsaicin, Clonidine
Compounded pain management medications are available by prescription only. Please discuss it with your physician, or contact us with your physician’s name and contact information, and we will supply them with information. SandsRx Pharmacy will work with your physician to design a custom compound using all FDA approved ingredients to fit your specific needs.
Contact our Compounding Specialists for more information on how we can help you!